The morning is not an ideal time for most people. I’m one of those rare individuals that actually enjoys mornings. I’m not a night owl like the majority of college students. Creating a ritual or routine is helpful to gear you up for your day. You’ll be able to spend more time relaxing and less of it running around trying pick out an outfit. I do a specific list of things the night before and in the morning before I have classes/work. What works for me might not work for you. I encourage you to try different ideas and see what fits in with your morning ritual. Here’s how I like to structure my night before/morning ritual:
The Night Before:
- Pack up my backpack so I don’t forget anything. This saves so much time and everything’s ready to go!
- Write in my journal. Dumping out my thoughts from the day on paper helps me so much. It may also give me inspiration for another blog post (yay!). I’m able to relax and not worry about anything in particular. I also make a To-Do list for the next day, so I know what I have to get done.
- Wash my face. Pretty self-explanatory. Sometimes I do an overnight face mask so my skin is soft and clean in the morning.
- Pick out my clothes and lay them out on my desk. Then, I don’t have to scramble to pick what I feel like wearing the next morning.
- Take 10 minutes to clean up my bedroom. I get frustrated and can’t concentrate when there’s a mess. It makes me feel more together. Plus, it’s such a small amount of time, so it shouldn’t interfere with getting ready for bed.
- Set my alarm on my phone. I have it set it to “Love is an Open Door” from Frozen. Pick something happy that will make you want to get out of bed. Try to place it out of reach from your bed so you’ll have to get up.
I found this cool infographic on Pinterest (it’s not my own) that relates to my nightly routine with some extra additions.
My Morning Ritual:
- Wash my face and get dressed.
- Have a glass of water and get breakfast.
- Read or write in my journal, if time allows for it. I’m currently reading a travel guide about Japan! Read something enjoyable that relates to your life.
- Put on my makeup! I usually have a 10 minute routine. It never takes me too long unless I’m trying out something new.
- Do some light stretching (i.e. yoga). I tend to get stiff easily, so this makes me feel a lot better afterwards. Child’s pose and sun salutations are great.
- Floss and brush my teeth, along with taking any necessary medication.
- Spend a couple minutes setting my intention for the day. It helps me get in a positive head space for the rest of my day. Find something you can look forward to that day.
I found another helpful infographic about establishing a morning routine on Pinterest.
That’s all there is to it. I’d love to hear what you do for your morning routine/ritual in the comments. Have a great day!