Sailor Moon is one of the best magical girl anime of all-time. It’s a classic for a reason. I grew up watching it as a pre-teen on Cartoon Network. It has a special, nostalgic place in my heart. It also didn’t help that I had a huge crush on Tuxedo Mask. I always thought he was suave, charming and handsome. I also loved the friendships between the Sailor Senshi and how far they’d go to help each in life-threatening situations. I also appreciated the comedic relief of some of the characters. Usagi was always doing something silly. She was always dimwitted, but ultimately lovable. The characters keep me coming back to the show. It’s full of heart, passion and super cool magical girl transformations. What more could you want in a shojo anime? I thought I’d take a stroll down memory lane and write about 10 lessons I learned from watching Sailor Moon. *All images in this post are from Google Images and are not my own. Here they are:
- Friendship is everything. Love and cherish your friends. Tell them you care. Show them you care through kind gestures. Spend time with them. Go get ice cream or visit an amusement park. It’s okay to not have everything in common – the ties of friendship bond you together. Understanding others is important, since we come from different backgrounds. This was the case with Usagi and Ami. Usagi was the dumbest, lowest test scorer in the class while Ami was at the top of the class, always earning straight A’s. Rei was a shrine maiden. Minako was Sailor V. You never know who you could end up being friends with. Get to know them and be thankful that they’re a part of your life. No matter how much you may bicker and argue, they’ll always be there for you.
2. True love conquers all. Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask are great on their own, but together, they’re unstoppable! They’re one of anime’s most famous couples. Sure, they have their ups and downs, but they overcome it. I would definitely call them a dynamic duo. Also, Luis and I are thinking of cosplaying as Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask! So many costume possibilities…
3. Stress is something that happens regularly and we have to figure out ways to overcome it. Sure, the Sailor Senshi have a lot more to worry about since they’re trying to Earth safe from nefarious villains. Finding fun activities to do with your friends is important. Remember how you’d always see Usagi, Ami, Rei and Makoto at the arcade? Blowing off steam is good and helps you do better in life.
4. Believe in yourself and know that you can do anything you set your mind to. Usagi was doubtful that she could ever be Sailor Moon or Princess Serenity, but she was able to fulfill both of those roles beautifully. Sure, she’s not the most graceful or polite person, but her heart guided her in tough times. All of the Sailor Senshi had doubts about their powers and what they could do to help others. Encourage a friend/loved one to pursue their dreams!
5. Don’t let others tell you what you can and cannot do. There were so many times the enemies of the Sailor Senshi did this. They tried to play mind games and brainwash their positive way of thinking. You are in charge of your own life and what you do. Never give in to the forces of evil whether it’s your ultimate rival-kun or a bully.
6. Family is important and will always be there for you in tough times. Though, your friends are your family too. Having a support system in life is so important. It’s nice to have someone to talk to about a cute guy you like or something more serious like the death of a loved one. Family isn’t always blood-related, but who you surround yourself with says a lot about your character.
7. Embrace your quirks and fun traits! Life would be boring if we were all the same. That’s why the Sailor Senshi work well together – they’re a team of unique individuals with different interests and hobbies. Sure, they may clash at times, but they have the same common goals and values in fighting against evil.
8. Sisters before misters is something to keep in mind. Boys may come and go, but friends will always be there for you. It’s easy to get caught up in a new relationship, but don’t leave your friends on the sidelines. Allow time for your relationships with your friends to grow, even if you have a boyfriend or girlfriend.
9. Never underestimate someone’s abilities. Sure, Usagi was whiny and totally unfit to be Sailor Moon at the beginning, but she grew into the role. It takes time for people to mature and learn from their mistakes. This is true about all people.
10. Have fun and don’t take life too seriously! It’s great to be a girl. Have fun experimenting with fashion and makeup. Don’t limit yourself or think, “No, I couldn’t possibly do this”. Get out of your comfort zone, meet new people and embrace your fun-loving, awesome, cool, beautiful self.
Have a great day! Comment below with things you’ve learned from Sailor Moon. I’d love to hear your thoughts 🙂